Student Snapshot – Maya Brown

Maya Brown
MFA Class of 2023

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
Hello, I am Maya Brown, a second-year directing MFA student initially from the South Texas area.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
My favorite filmmakers and movies would have to be Daughters of the Dust (1991) Dir. Julie Dash & Documenteur (1981) Dir. Agnès Varda.

What are you currently working on?
We are currently in the post-production cycle for the second film I’ve directed here in the program. I am simultaneously writing my thesis script that I will go onto direction next year.

What does your typical day look like?
I’ll usually wake up and head right to campus for meetings, writing, classes, or filming! My days are usually filled with talking to my fellow creatives, and learning how to further my craft.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
The best part of film school is that I’ve genuinely found a family I can wholeheartedly share my art, creative process, and vision with no remorse. The days are long, but they are always filled with memories I know I will never forget in a lifetime!

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
I never knew I could comprehend cinematography and the technique behind shaping light until I was able to take a class with Keith Slade. I think it is amazing that a person with no interest in cine was able to walk into a class and genuinely enjoy being there while simultaneously learning so much.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
They should know this is unlike any film school experience you have had anywhere else. The hours are long, and the work is strenuous, but there is no other program that will have you more prepared for the industry than this one.

Favorite Film School Moment?
My favorite film school moment had to be when I was able to attend the thesis screening for the MFA class of 2022. We work so hard on their films and seeing them finally on the big screen was such a rewarding experience.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I am probably huddled in the conference room with Raven Carter, Emma Francis, Valery Garcia, and Brittany Young listening on repeat to Steve Lacy while trying to beat the deadline!!