Student Snapshot – Vyky Saiz

Vyky Saiz
MFA Class of 2022

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
A first generation MFA student of Uruguayan & Dominican decent who was encouraged and reminded by her students to live by the word she gave them right before graduating high school, “Pursue your dreams but be well-prepared,” and FSU CMPA was the place to accomplish just that.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
The Wachowskis paved the way for women to tell impactful & intellectual stories, push the limits from traditional and streaming entertainment industries, and expect more from audiences — and while they made two feature films prior to this major release, it doesn’t change the game changer that was “The Matrix” (1999).

What are you currently working on?
Thesis film about an impulsive, romantic teen who finds out her first love in being sent away and concocts a plan to kidnap her girlfriend from the airport.

What does your typical day look like?
Try my best to eat a proper breakfast as we can have long days, take B12 to provide energy and refrain from drinking caffeine, make sure I prioritize scheduling requirements for the day, such as class, and utilize time before or after to get ahead on thesis prep. I do set a clear end time by 7pm so I can ensure I rest well but some days I can get too excited and continue working 11pm, but I try not to make a habit of it.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
Engaging with the faculty because they really showcase how much they want us all to do well and provide whatever insight they may have on a particular idea, plan, or approach, while also giving us free reign to make mistakes and learn directly from experience. When we need them they make time for us and perfectly balance lifting us up when we down and allowing us to pick ourselves up. They have made this experience beyond exceptional.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Marisol Gómez-Mouakad because she sets high expectations which encourages me to keep pushing harder and stay on my toes, but comes from experience and care. She is one of the few, or only, Hispanic women professors at the film school and she’s not afraid to use her voice; I hope I can be as brave as her.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
You will work harder than you likely ever have, but when you realize how strong you are, any doubt you had about your creative, mental, or physical capabilities will nearly cease and you will leave here with an irreplaceable second family.

Favorite Film School Moment?
Surviving the cinematography work I did for D2 “Deja Vu” (2021). I am still gaining confidence in my camera & lighting skills and we hadn’t been trained yet for shooting car scenes, so I needed to transform that anxious insecurity to nervous excitement so I could dive into consuming as much information to prep. While I am proud of the work my team and I accomplished, it was momentous when the director Alex Arbeiter came to me after the premiere and stated his deepest thanks.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
Likely in the post-hall or iMac Lab with Marlange “Molly” Piard.