Student Snapshot – Megan Baer

Megan Baer
BFA Class of 2022

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
Hi! I’m Megan Baer, a BFA student from Denver, Colorado. I’m in my senior year here at the CMPA as a directing specialist looking to pursue a career in editing and writing after graduation. I am also a big fan of documentary filmmaking and hope that can be a possibility in my future as well.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
My favorite filmmaker would have to be Kirsten Johnson. Her documentary films really inspired me to become a filmmaker in the first place and I admire her ability to draw amazing stories from simple subjects. My favorite movie by far is Black Swan (2010) I love how psychological horror films are able to convey things we often can’t explain about ourselves and throw you so deeply into a character’s mind.

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on a documentary following the wildfire crisis in the western U.S that I’ve been able to film back home in Colorado. It’s a really important issue to me so I’m excited to see what comes out of the project. Otherwise I’m also busy with thesis production this year, I wrapped the film I directed and am happy to say it went really smoothly and I felt like everyone had a blast on set! Since then I’ve been able to focus on helping my classmates bring their visions to life as well. I feel really lucky to be graduating soon with such a talented team.

What does your typical day look like?
The beautiful thing is that I’ve never had a typical day here. Every set brings something new, but I always try to make time to write a little every day. Spending time outside walking local trails is important to me too since I get homesick often and being around nature always helps.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
Things I never expected to learn or do! I’ve been able to meet so many wonderful people and appreciate all kinds of artistic expression. This is a very, very different college experience then most people get. Instead of taking classes it often feels like I’m working in the industry already.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
I would say Erika Stone or Mark Vargo. They’re both so passionate about their subjects and I’ve learned the most from them respectively.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
There’s more room to explore your specific passions in film here than most programs, so don’t be shy to experiment with many different areas! College is about figuring out what YOU want to do, so don’t pressure yourself with the ambitions of others.

Favorite Film School Moment?
When I was directing my thesis and we were shooting at this beautiful beach house in Panacea. I remember this one moment where we had some downtime between setups, everyone was feeling good. The sun was setting when we were out on this gorgeous pier and I remember looking at my actors and crew and feeling more proud than I ever had before. My heart was so full, it was one of those moments when you feel like everything was going to be okay.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I guarantee I’d be in the editing lab after four shots of espresso blasting Joan Jett until I hammered it out. No matter how late you’re at the film school, there’s always someone else right there with you!