Student Snapshot – Landon Hogue

Landon Hogue
BFA Class of 2022

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
My name is Landon Hogue. I’m a BFA from Lone Tree Colorado. I was born and raised in Colorado and living there has had a great influence on the stories I want to tell.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
My current favorite filmmaker is Taylor Sheridan. His movies blend tropes of the classic western with modern day twists to make it relatable and real.
However, my favorite movie is Scott Cooper’s “Hostiles”.

What are you currently working on?
I am currently developing my thesis film. It’s going to be a Crime/Drama following a female FBI agent who is tasked with finding a girl who has been taken into sex trafficking.

What does your typical day look like?
I start my day with a little bit of writing. It gets my creative juices flowing. Then I’m usually on set or in class as school takes up most of my time. I do spend a lot of time listening to music. I think that musicians and songwriters have a lot in common with filmmakers. I also use music to help me get in the mood creatively whether it be writing, directing, or acting.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
I really enjoyed the documentary trip I went on. My group and I drove to Colorado. I did almost all of the driving and throughout that time I really fell in love with the way the land of the US changes and flows into different patterns and regions.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Mark Vargo has been an excellent teacher and mentor. He has shown great interest in my work and stands by the ideas I want to create. He has visited my sets and spent a lot of time. He doesn’t really act like a teacher, more like a colleague and it’s invaluable to have. His class over the quarantine semester is one of the best I’ve had at the CMPA. He simply let us make what we wanted every week and really let our voices develop and shine.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
It’s a great place to get your feet wet in every aspect. You may know what you want to do when you come here but by doing every role on a film, you become a more complete filmmaker and a more valuable asset to have on a project.

Favorite Film School Moment?
Orientation! Right away I felt comfortable here and felt like I was home.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
The seminar room with Pierce probably. The seminar room is a great place to grind out work late at night and is one of the best spots in the film school halls. And it’s close to the comfiest couch in the school in case you need to sleep there. 👀