Student Snapshot – Shari Petti

Shari Petti
MFA Class of 2022

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
Hi I am Shari Petti. I am a filmmaker from Trinidad and Tobago pursuing my MFA in Production here at FSU under the Fulbright Scholarship exchange program. I intend to be a DP Specialist!

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
I don’t have one favorite filmmaker, but I do love Euzhan Palcy, Issa Rae, Melina Matsoukas and Ava Duvernay. Also do not have one favourite film but I do love Mommy, Monsoon Wedding, Whiplash and Sugarcane Alley.

What are you currently working on?
Currently (besides D1’s), I am editing a narrative short film I wrote, produced, shot and directed back in February. I am also a One World Media 2020 Fellow, so I have a short documentary film in post production that I produced, shot and directed with the grant I won from them. I also have a documentary still in the festival stage so I’m often responding to emails about screenings for it, or looking for more festivals to submit to.

What does your typical day look like?
I wake up around 8/9, skip breakfast, respond to messages and emails. Figure out which movie/series I intend to watch (I try to watch something everyday). If I have class, then I’ll be there, if not, I try to work on whatever projects I have outstanding outside of school. I also take lots of naps throughout the day lol, one thing about me, I’m gunna nap.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
I love my cine class! I’m here because I wanted to improve on that. It’s exciting to see how much I was able to learn about lighting especially in just a few weeks, so I cant wait to take that even further!

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Haha, this is a tough one, I don’t want to make anyone feel left out. But if I am 100% honest, in terms of skill set Mark Vargo left the greatest impression on me because he made aspects of filmmaking I found daunting (like lighting) so easy for me to understand. Something just clicked in my brain when I realised how simple some things were and that I just needed to get out of my own head. I’ll also say Marisol because she gives really great advice on filmmaking in general, and David Wiley is very encouraging and patient as a professor.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
It might seem annoying at first (especially if you know exactly what you want to specialize in from the jump), but learning about, and working every role on set is extremely important! I believe it can even makes you stronger in whichever role you decide to settle in because you know what every department needs to do in order for the entire crew to work effectively and make a sound end product.

Favorite Film School Moment?
I was so elated for D1’s when I was able to see all of our stories finally come to life! I was especially impressed with how everyone was able to make Critchfield Hall (where we had to shoot all of our films), look like 32 different locations with some amazing set design!

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I’m probably in the post suite. More than likely with Kaitlyn Kelly.