Student Snapshot: Kennikki Jones-Jones

Kennikki Jones-Jones
MFA Production Class of 2018

My name is Kennikki Jones-Jones and I am from Detroit, Michigan.  I received my BFA in Performance Art at Wayne State University after dropping out of high school, and then obtaining my GED and Associates of Arts Degree.  After graduation, I joined the ImprovBruvas at Park Bar.  As an actress I performed with Shakespeare In Detroit and The Planet Ant Theatre. As a director, I worked with the BoxFest, where I was awarded the People’s Choice Award, which led me down the rabbit hole of writing urban horror.

Favorite Movie

Gattica

Favorite Filmmaker

Darren Aronofsky

What are you specializing in?

Directing. I enjoy guiding the story, being a part of taking the audience on a ride, and the visual payoff for all your hard work.

What has been the best part of Film School?

The best part of film school was having the opportunity to learn how to fine tune my voice by writing and directing my three short films, something that I had never done before but only imagined. It was amazing seeing my imagination come to life…even though it didn’t always look like I expected. Learning how to align my ideas, communicate them to others, identify and solve problems was crucial to my learning experience at FSU. It was also amazing creating friendships that I believe will last a lifetime. Each of my peers has taught me so much!

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?

Victoria Meyer! First off, she has the most soothing voice and aura that I have encountered from a teacher. She is like a working encyclopedia of film knowledge. She can break down a movie with such eloquence and grace. Whenever she gave me or my peers notes about our script I felt like I should pay her for therapy. It also impresses and encourages me how she handles her life as a mother, wife, artist and professor. I truly look up to her!

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?

It is so worth it!  I know it’s a cliché but, “No pain, no gain.”  It is so true, because the moments of carrying c-stands and heavy equipment, sweat, and literally tears give way to beautiful stories, images, and memories with a group of people you can’t imagine not knowing.