International Graduate Application Instructions
In addition to all of the College’s required Creative Materials for the MFA in Production or MFA in Writing, international applicants should also submit the following additional materials.
If admitted, all international graduate students are required to attend the Center for Intensive English Studies ACES program. This seven-week bridge program brings admitted graduate students to campus a full 10 weeks before the start of the Fall semester. During this time, admitted international film students meet with the College of Motion Picture Arts faculty and students for special events, meetings, and classes while also honing their English skills.
English Language Proficiency
Official English Language Proficiency results are required of all international applicants whose native language is not English. The following are the minimum scores required for admission to the University, although some departments require higher scores at the graduate level:
- Internet based TOEFL (IBTOEFL): 80
- Paper based TOEFL (TOEFL): 550
- International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS): 6.5
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): 77
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 55
These scores are considered official only when they are sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency, and are not valid after two years.
Required Academic Records
- All transcripts/academic records that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- To be considered “certified,” documents should be true copies that are signed and dated by an educational official familiar with academic records. Any translated record should be literal and not an interpretive translation. Documents signed by a notary or other public official with no educational affiliation will not be accepted.
- If the transcript/academic record does not indicate the degree earned and date the degree was awarded, separate proof of degree is required.
For more information about applying as an international student, visit the Office of Admissions’ website or email email@example.com with additional questions.