Student Snapshot – Brittany Young

Brittany Young
MFA Class of 2023

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
Hi, my name is Brittany Young and I’m an MFA here at the CMPA! I was born in Tampa, raised in Gainesville, and found myself playing college lacrosse at the University of Delaware before I started making films here in Tally! I’m a Leo and yes I do like attention, so be careful in how much you give it to me.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
I don’t really have a favorite filmmaker, BUT I can say the best movie ever created is Everything Everywhere All at Once because HOW??? How can that be possible? EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING, but on a coherent timeline and grounded in a mother-daughter relationship. I’ll defend that movie always. I will also go to war for Booksmart. That movie just gets it. Anything that is a coming of age can have my wallet and then some.

What are you currently working on?
I am currently working on myself, (and that’s a lot). But I’m also working on writing my thesis! And producing Jim Shashaty’s! And Production Designing Emma Francis’! And casting for the open calls! And what am I going to eat for dinner I don’t know! (The film school is a bundle of side quests and final bosses)

What does your typical day look like?
My typical day (as of now) looks like the ever-continuing battle of raising my two eyelids and dealing with the chaos that unfurls after. Throw Blackdog Cafe and classes and meetings and bonding with my class in there and you have the story of my life in Tallahassee, Florida.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
MY FRIENDS. I love them. Our cohort is so close-knit I am obsessed with them. It’s nice coming from a team culture of playing on a team, to coming here and having that same sort of team culture AND making movies. Complete and total jackpot!

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
David Wiley. I have talked and vented that man’s ear off (to his dismay).

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
It is A LOT of work. Hard work, rewarding work, but don’t come to film school thinking you won’t spend some time in the trenches. It’s a right of passage and if you come out victorious, you’re well on your way to cementing your place in the glorious network that are the FSU alum! AND BE OKAY WITH NOT KNOWING EVERYTHING. Lean into your humility and you’ll see how many people are willing to help, and you’ll end up doing the same!

Favorite Film School Moment?
My favorite film school moments are definitely the premieres! There’s so much love in the theater and our cohort fiercely celebrates each other after each screening. And we look good doing it!

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I’m dragging Maya and Raven to black dog cafe probably.