Student Snapshot – Liv Jonsè

Liv Jonsè
MFA Class of 2023

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
My name is Liv Jonsè, and I’m an MFA Screenwriting student. My background is in Environmental Science and photography, but I’ve had a wide range of odd jobs.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
It would be impossible to pick one but right now I am very inspired by Greta Gerwig as a female writer and director. Favorite movie?! Life as a House, it’s a real tear-jerker.

What are you currently working on?
I just finished the first draft of an original pilot, and I’m going to re-write that and start a draft of another original pilot that I developed and outlined last semester. I’m doing coverage on a book that’s due Friday. In the TV Writer’s Room simulation class, I am the assistant writer this week and going to be co-writing an episode for a season of television we’ve created.

What does your typical day look like?
I wake up, do some journaling and take a look at my calendars, and check what deadlines are coming up. We usually have class on zoom or a meeting on campus. Then I’m most likely reading a classmate’s script and giving notes or studying a script that’s similar to a project I’m working on. Then I do a lot of writing!

What has been the best part of film school so far?
The D1 screening was a lot of fun! Getting to do writing intensives with our professors, Julianna and Kyle, has been very special. Also, the people. The people are definitely the best part.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
I’ve learned so much from every faculty member. With that said, Kyle Arrington has taught us a lot about TV writing, specifically the structure and development of TV pilots, episodes, and seasons that have been instrumental as I dream of running my own show one day. Julianna has taught me that we’re all idea machines, and we can write A LOT in just fifteen minutes. I used to think I needed hours to write or that I only had a few good ideas in me. She knows how to make creative work feel like play. Also, their careers and accomplishments in general are super inspiring.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
They tell you it’s a lot of work, but then you get there, and it’s even more challenging than you anticipated. BUT, know that you’re good enough and you can do it. If you’re even thinking about applying, chances are you’re in the right place, and I’m wishing you luck.

Favorite Film School Moment?
Being in the writer’s room and watching how one little idea can be built on by another person then another person and another person until it turns into this amazing genius pitch.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
In the writer’s room with Dom and Aadrise.