Student Snapshot – Aadrise Johnson

Aadrise Johnson
MFA Class of 2023

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
My name is Aadrise Johnson. I’m a writing student in the MFA class of 2023. I was born in the Bronx before I moved to Dallas at ten years old. I graduated from Louisiana Tech with a BFA in Theatre and a minor in English. I was a theatre teacher before I came to FSU.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
Issa Rae. My favorite film has to be a tie between The Best Man and Death Becomes Her. I love seeing actors play off of each other.

What are you currently working on?
For school, I’m working on my second draft of a thirty-minute comedy pilot along with mentally rewriting my first feature named Homecoming. For fun, I’m exploring some new ideas for a 60-minute drama based on the music industry.

What does your typical day look like?
Wake up. Eat Breakfast. Write. Eat Lunch. Write but ultimately distracted by social media and friends. Write some more. Do research aka watch TV and films. Sleep. Repeat.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
Collaborating with others and being in a place where my main focus is to just create and write. I’m allowing myself to try new things and push myself with the help of my classmates.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
In some way, I have learned a lot from each faculty member here. But the most notable ones have been the writing faculty members: Julianna Baggot, Geaux Francois, and Kyle Arrington. But David Wiley, George Reasner, and Vicky Meyer have had a great impact on me as well.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
This program is unlike any other school I have looked at. It can be intense at moments but the outcome is worth it in the end because you will come out of it a stronger creative force.

Favorite Film School Moment?
Any moment I’ve had in the writers’ room at CMPA. A lot of shenanigans happen there. But a second close win is being on zoom with Barry Jenkins.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
MFA Writers’ Room and whoever in the writing cohort decides to join me in the trenches.