Student Snapshot – Raven Carter

Raven Carter
MFA Class of ’23

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
I am a MFA Directing specialist originally from the Austin area.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig

What are you currently working on?
My second narrative short film, a sci-fi drama, is in post-production and I’m writing my thesis film. It will likely be horror or romance inspired by my family.

What does your typical day look like?
I wake up around 7:30 am and head to CMPA! I listen to lots of music, I’m always on my laptop, and I laugh with friends.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
The best part has been finding people that I know I want to work with in the future. It gives me hope that I’ll always be able to make things that are meaningful to me whether it be something I direct or something my friend directs.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Julianna Baggot has been super inspirational. I feel blessed to have so many professors actively working in the field. Julianna has been super encouraging on my writing journey and I love her energy.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
Someone applying should know this program is just as physically laborious as it is creative. Come with the understanding that you’re presence on set is very important and we are in it together.

Favorite Film School Moment?
My favorite film school moment was the 2021 BFA after-party! It was so much fun supporting their screening and then attending the after-party at the CMPA. I’ll never forget that night.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I’m in one of the lobby conference rooms with Maya Brown and Emma Francis most likely. Ha!