Student Snapshot – Shahbaz Khan

Shahbaz Khan
MFA Class of 2021

Introduce yourself briefly and tell me a little bit about your background. Are you an MFA or BFA?
Hi, I’m Shahbaz, and I’m an MFA Directing Specialist from Washington State!

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
I don’t really have a favorite filmmaker, but I have watched all of Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson’s features. My favorite movie, though, is indisputably Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

What are you currently working on?
I’ll be directing two thesis films in the spring semester: a comedy/romance I’m co-writing with my friend E.M. Moore about a group of anarchist protestors titled “The Conquest of Bread”; and an immigrant story written by my friend Adrian Hargrave called “Elien” about a little boy pretending to be an alien when he immigrates to a new city with his family.

What does your typical day look like?
What is a typical day in these corona times anymore.

What has been the best part of film school so far?
Being able to make movies with my friends, duh.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Honestly, I don’t think I can answer this question, there are so many faculty and staff members whom I’ve met that have helped me out during an especially arduous time at the school that I don’t think anything I could write would adequately do them justice.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
It’s a very brief program, but you’ll make friends and connections who’ll be there for you, whether you’re goofing off on set or getting picked up from jail (true story).

Favorite Film School Moment?
Being able to mentor the first-year MFAs during crew drills and their D1 sets was absolutely delightful, especially seeing the way their creativity blossomed through the new restrictions that COVID had placed on their projects.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I’m in a work room with Braxton, Stef, and Olivia, either planning an event for DICE or getting ready to run away to a beach for the night.