Student Snapshot: Wasly Castillo

Wasly Castillo
MFA Class of 2019 
My name is Wasly Castillo and I am a second year MFA student at the college of Motion Picture Arts. I was born in the Dominican Republic, but I spent my entire life up until film school in NYC.

Who is your favorite Filmmaker and What is your favorite movie?
My favorite filmmaker is a toss up between Lucretia Martel and Alfonso Cuaron. Their bodies of work are fascinating glimpses into the human condition. My favorite movie is “Y Tu mama también”

What are you currently working on?
Currently I’m working on my thesis film, “The Same Blue”. Which tells the story of a young EMT who has to choose between her badge or her conscience. Aside from that I am also in development for my debut feature. Hectic times! But all so very worth it!

What does your typical day look like?
There’s no such thing as a typical day at the film school! But currently, I get up around 6, work on any rewrites I still have due for the feature script. Head to school around 8:30a. Then I’m in the post hall either editing my classmate Julio’s thesis film, giving and receiving notes on a latest cut or even doing some foley work in the stages! After lunch if I have my independent study, I’ll meet with one of the Directors in Residence, Antonio Mendez, and we workshop the feature script some more. After that I get back to the post hall and finish up my day there. If I’m not completely exhausted I may catch a movie at the local AMC!

What has been the best part of film school so far?
Learning how to work and collaborate under sometimes very stressful conditions with people from all over the world. In this program you’re really pushed to work together and overcome obstacles as a team. Just because a way of doing something worked well back home, doesn’t mean it will here. So learning how to become a true collaborator has definitely been one of my favorite parts of film school.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?
Easy, Marisol Gomez-Moukad. She is an indie filmmaking machine! Her grit and make the movie no matter what attitude has been incredibly inspiring for me. Plus I can’t tell you how having a faculty member who I can speak with in my native tongue has changed my experience here. We understand each other, and I really hope one day I can make movies and tell stories half as well as Marisol does.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?
It is a 24/7 commitment. You have to understand that you’re not applying to a regular college program. You’re applying for a lifestyle. You will eat, sleep, and breathe filmmaking. Which for some of us, is probably the the most exciting sentence to read, ever! If this is what you really want to do. Apply and you’ll be glad you did.

Favorite Film School Moment?
Moving in with my classmates Eric and Hunter. I never had roommates before them, and it’s been awesome having people to talk to and decompress with after crazy days on set.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?
I’m in one of the conference rooms on the first floor with my classmate Alex McFry. We’re panicking trying to figure out how to get an ambulance service to loan us an ambulance for a movie by tomorrow. By the way, we did.