Student Snapshot: Siara-Lauren Brown

Siara-Lauren Brown
BFA Class of 2020

Hello, I’m Siara-Lauren (see-are-uh-lor-en) Brown and I’m a BFA2 in Live-Action. I’m a half Black/half Jewish filmmaker from South Florida and I’m an introvert (INFJ) who learned to have some extroverted qualities by being the youngest of five children. My parents strongly supporter and encouraged the arts when I was growing up; almost all of us played music. I played piano and alto saxophone and did visual art and eventually I found a way to incorporate music and visual art into film.

From fourth to eighth grade I was in Video Production and then went to an audition-based high school, Harrison School for the Arts, and studied Motion Picture Arts. And now I’m here!

Favorite Filmmaker

I’m obsessed with Reed Morano. Anytime I watch her work, I end up pausing and rewinding because it’s all so beautiful. A strong female director/DP? Goals.

What are you currently working on?

I’m currently working on an art piece and a couple of scripts. I’m focusing mainly on my F3 script and specifically working on how to incorporate experimental elements within a narrative film.

Favorite class this semester?

This semester I’ve been on thesis support, so I haven’t had any classes. That isn’t to say I haven’t learned a thing or two. The BFA3s helped us with Crew Drills before the thesis process and have taught us so much during pre-production. Last week I was Art Director for Kyra Gardner’s film, “Phoebe” and I helped build a bathroom set. I don’t think I even touched a drill before this! Ryland Carlin was the Production Designer so I worked with her and helped get everything in order to make Phoebe’s world as colorful as possible.

What does your typical day look like?

Last year it was a lot of 9am-6pm classes but right now with thesis support, my schedule has been pretty intense with pre-production and production for thesis support. Thesis shows run for 3 days unless there is a double, which is 6 days of filming. Each day is about 13 hours long.

What has been the best part of Film School so far?

I think the best part about film school has been the bonds I’ve created with some of my classmates. Even if my ideas are a little out-there, I have their support. Honestly, you can’t beat that.

Which faculty member has made the greatest impression on you and how?

I would say that Ron Honn has made the greatest impression on me because he’s incredibly supportive. I’m a person that has always loved mixed-media and when I run my ideas by him, they are always followed with suggestions on how to approach them.

What do you think someone applying to the program should know about the FSU Film School?

The third-floor water fountain is the best. Don’t @ me.

In all seriousness, the film school is going to challenge you. There are a lot of late nights and early mornings but it’s all worth it. I think about film in a way I never had before and each project has helped me grow as a creator.

Favorite Film School Moment?

I think one of my favorite film school moments was the ritual that our group had last year of playing “Business Time” by Flight of the Conchords before filming. It played in the background when we were planning weekend projects and it just stuck.

It’s late, you’re at the Film School working on something you need to finish before tomorrow: where are you and who are you with?

If it’s late and I’m trying to finish an assignment, I’d probably be on the third floor in one of the editing rooms with my good friends Chayse Banks, Anisha Gupte, and Shae Demandt. Every couple of hours a timer goes off and we dance to keep our sanity.